Understanding Wrongful Death: What You Need to Know
Losing a loved one is never easy, but it can be especially devastating when their death was caused by the negligent or intentional actions of another person or entity. In these cases, the surviving family members may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit. At Young and Young injury lawyers in Utah, we have experience representing families in wrongful death cases and can help you understand your legal options.
What is Wrongful Death?
Wrongful death occurs when a person dies as a result of the negligent or intentional actions of another person or entity. Some common causes of wrongful death include:
- Car accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Defective products
- Workplace accidents
- Criminal acts
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
In Utah, the surviving spouse, children, or parents of the deceased person may file a wrongful death lawsuit. If the deceased person had no surviving spouse, children, or parents, then the personal representative of the deceased person's estate may file the lawsuit.
Damages in a Wrongful Death Lawsuit
In a wrongful death lawsuit, the surviving family members may be able to recover damages for:
- Medical expenses related to the deceased person's final illness or injury
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of the deceased person's income and benefits
- Loss of companionship, guidance, and consortium
- Pain and suffering experienced by the deceased person before their death
Why You Need an Experienced Wrongful Death Attorney
Losing a loved one is never easy, and filing a wrongful death lawsuit can be overwhelming. Here are a few reasons why you need an experienced attorney on your side:
- Knowledge of the Law: Wrongful death cases are governed by complex laws and regulations. An experienced attorney can help you understand your legal rights and options.
- Investigation of the Case: An experienced attorney can investigate the circumstances surrounding your loved one's death and gather evidence to support your claim.
- Negotiation and Litigation Skills: An experienced attorney can negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf and represent you in court if necessary.
At Young and Young injury lawyers in Utah, we understand the devastating impact that a wrongful death can have on a family. We are committed to helping our clients get the justice they deserve and the compensation they need to move forward. If you have lost a loved one due to the negligent or intentional actions of another, we encourage you to contact us today to get the compensation you deserve.